Thursday, February 15, 2007
Random Acts of Kindness Week
It is Random Acts of Kindness time:
RAK CELEBRATION DATES
Random Acts of Kindness Week Feb. 12-18
World Kindness Week Nov. 12-18
World Kindness Day Nov. 13
Some ideas from The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation:
100 IDEAS FOR KINDNESS
1. Deliver fresh-baked cookies to city workers.
2. Collect goods for a food bank.
3. Bring flowers to work and share them with coworkers.
4. Garden clubs can make floral arrangements for senior centers, nursing homes, hospitals, police stations, or shut-ins.
5. Adopt a student who needs a friend, checking in periodically to see how things are going.
6. Volunteer to be a tutor in a school.
7. Extend a hand to someone in need. Give your full attention and simply listen.
8. Merchants can donate a percentage of receipts for the week to a special cause.
9. Bring coworkers a special treat.
10. Students can clean classrooms for the custodian.
11. Buy a stranger a free pizza.
12. Distribute lollipops to kids.
13. Sing at a nursing home.
14. Offer a couple of hours of baby-sitting to parents.
15. Slip paper hearts that say “It’s Random Acts of Kindness Week! Have a great day!” under the windshield wipers of parked cars.
16. Have a charity day at work, with employees bringing nonperishable food items to donate.
17. Serve refreshments to customers.
18. Draw names at school or work, and have people bring a small gift or food treat for their secret pal.
19. Remember the bereaved with phone calls, cards, plants, and food.
20. Treat someone to fresh fruit.
21. Pay a compliment at least once a day.
22. Call or visit a homebound person.
23. Hand out balloons to passersby.
24. Give free sodas to motorists.
25. Be a good neighbor. Take over a baked treat or stop by to say “Hello.”
26. Transport someone who can’t drive.
27. Mow a neighbor’s grass.
28. Say something nice to everyone you meet today.
29. Send a treat to a school or day-care center.
30. Volunteer at an agency that needs help.
31. Wipe rainwater off shopping carts or hold umbrellas for shoppers on the way to their cars.
32. Give the gift of your smile.
33. Send home a note telling parents something their child did well.
34. Adopt a homeless pet at the humane society.
35. Organize a scout troop or service club to help people with packages at the mall or grocery.
36. Host special programs or speakers at libraries or bookstores.
37. Offer to answer the phone for the school secretary for ten minutes.
38. Volunteer to read to students in the classroom.
39. Write notes of appreciation and bring flowers or goodies to teachers or other important people, such as the principal, nurse, custodian, and secretary.
40. Incorporate kindness into the curriculum at area schools, day care centers, or children’s classes in faith organizations.
41. Give a hug to a friend.
42. Tell your children why you love them.
43. Write a note to your mother/father and tell them why they are special.
44. Pat someone on the back.
45. Write a thank-you note to a mentor or someone who has influenced your life in a positive way.
46. Give coffee to people on their way to work in the morning.
47. Donate time at a senior center.
48. Give blood.
49. Visit hospitals with smiles, treats, and friendly conversation for patients.
50. Stop by a nursing home, and visit a resident with no family nearby.
51. Plant flowers in your neighbor’s flower box.
52. Give another driver your parking spot.
53. Leave a treat or handmade note of thanks for a delivery person or mail carrier.
54. Give free car washes.
55. Clean graffiti from neighborhood walls and buildings.
56. Tell your boss that you think he/she does a good job.
57. Tell your employees how much you appreciate their work.
58. Let your staff leave work an hour early.
59. Have a clean-up party in the park.
60. Tell a bus or taxi driver how much you appreciate their driving.
61. Have everyone in your office draw the name of a Random Acts of Kindness buddy out of a hat and do a kind act for their buddy that day or week.
62. Give a pair of tickets to a baseball game or concert to a stranger.
63. Leave an extra big tip for the waitperson.
64. Drop off a plant, cookies, or donuts to the police or fire department.
65. Open the door for another person.
66. Pay for the meal of the person behind you in the drive-through.
67. Write a note to the boss of someone who has helped you, praising the employee.
68. Leave a bouquet of flowers on the desk of a colleague at work with whom you don’t normally get along.
69. Call an estranged family member.
70. Volunteer to fix up an elderly couple’s home.
71. Pay for the person behind you in the movie line.
72. Give flowers to be delivered with meal delivery programs.
73. Give toys to the children at the shelter or safe house.
74. Give friends and family kindness coupons they can redeem for kind favors.
75. Be a friend to a new student or coworker.
76. Renew an old friendship by sending a letter or small gift to someone you haven’t talked with in a long time.
77. For one week, act on every single thought of generosity that arises spontaneously in your heart, and notice what happens as a consequence.
78. Offer to return a shopping cart to the store for someone loading a car.
79. Invite someone new over for dinner.
80. Buy a roll of brightly colored stickers and give them to children you meet during the day.
81. Write a card of thanks and leave it with your tip. Be sure to be specific in your thanks.
82. Let the person behind you in the grocery store go ahead of you in line.
83. When drivers try to merge into your lane, let them in with a wave and a smile.
84. Buy cold drinks for the people next to you at a ball game.
85. Distribute kindness bookmarks that you have made.
86. Create a craft project or build a bird house with a child.
87. Give a bag of groceries to a homeless person.
88. Laugh out loud often and share your smile generously.
89. Plant a tree in your neighborhood.
90. Make a list of things to do to bring more kindness into the world, and have a friend make a list. Exchange lists and do one item per day for a month.
91. Use an instant camera to take people’s photographs at a party or community event, and give the picture to them.
92. As you go about your day, pick up trash.
93. Send a letter to some former teachers, letting them know the difference they made in your life.
94. Send a gift anonymously to a friend.
95. Organize a clothing drive for a shelter.
96. Buy books for a day care or school.
97. Slip a $20 bill to a person who you know is having financial difficulty.
98. Take an acquaintance to dinner.
99. Offer to take a friend’s child to ball practice.
100. Waive late fees for the week.
Labels: Good Karma
Stasia Permalink | Archives
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Even during difficult times, if we only take a moment to look for it, a much-needed chuckle is just around the corner.
We have discovered that Frieda is, indeed, the reincarnation of George Washington:
Some things captivate us with their charm.
Even if they weren't useful, we'd want them around for the sheer joy they provide.
But when they are useful, so much the better!
When they are charming, useful, and unexpected - that's definitely worth a smile or two.
And what could this odd object be?
A wristwarmer for an alien? Nope, it's a swatch for Jeff's new sweater, converted mid-way from flat knitting to round knitting. It's a Reynolds Lopi design, knit in Blackberry Ridge Bulky... because temps of minus 20°F without including windchill are no laughing matter!
Hope you had a funny Sunday, too.
Labels: farm, joy, knitting, pets
Stasia Permalink | Archives
Welcome To Stasia's Blog
Stasia is a knitter, spinner, weaver, writer, reader, and musician from Wisconsin, USA.
Join her here as she journals about beauty in nature, the joys of fibery pursuits, special people and pets, and great places to shop. It's her hope you'll leave spiritually inspired and creatively motivated. Thanks for visiting!
Fab Fiberarts Rings
Previous | Next
Previous | Next
Need To Mellow Out?
Light A Candle
Need An Excuse?
My Fiber Pusher
The Knotty Sheep
Subscribe To This Blog
Stasia's Place Podcast
Please come visit my new home at Yarn And A Barn -...
We Love Our Pets
Random Acts of Kindness Week
Pink Scarves Are Easy
Yes Indeedy, Some Fiber News
All Creatures Great And Small
Holey Moley - Twins!
Visions Of Sugarplums...
July 28, 2002
August 04, 2002
August 11, 2002
August 18, 2002
August 25, 2002
September 01, 2002
September 08, 2002
September 15, 2002
September 22, 2002
September 29, 2002
October 06, 2002
October 13, 2002
October 20, 2002
October 27, 2002
November 03, 2002
November 10, 2002
November 17, 2002
November 24, 2002
December 01, 2002
December 08, 2002
December 22, 2002
December 29, 2002
January 05, 2003
January 12, 2003
January 19, 2003
January 26, 2003
February 16, 2003
February 23, 2003
March 02, 2003
March 09, 2003
March 16, 2003
March 23, 2003
March 30, 2003
April 06, 2003
April 27, 2003
May 04, 2003
May 11, 2003
May 18, 2003
June 01, 2003
June 08, 2003
June 15, 2003
June 22, 2003
June 29, 2003
July 06, 2003
July 13, 2003
July 27, 2003
August 03, 2003
August 10, 2003
August 17, 2003
August 31, 2003
September 14, 2003
September 28, 2003
October 05, 2003
October 12, 2003
October 26, 2003
November 09, 2003
November 16, 2003
November 23, 2003
November 30, 2003
December 07, 2003
December 14, 2003
December 21, 2003
December 28, 2003
January 11, 2004
January 18, 2004
January 25, 2004
February 08, 2004
February 22, 2004
March 07, 2004
March 14, 2004
March 21, 2004
March 28, 2004
April 04, 2004
April 18, 2004
May 09, 2004
May 16, 2004
June 06, 2004
June 13, 2004
June 20, 2004
June 27, 2004
August 01, 2004
August 08, 2004
August 22, 2004
August 29, 2004
September 05, 2004
September 12, 2004
September 19, 2004
November 21, 2004
November 28, 2004
December 05, 2004
December 19, 2004
December 26, 2004
January 02, 2005
January 09, 2005
January 23, 2005
January 30, 2005
March 06, 2005
April 03, 2005
May 08, 2005
May 15, 2005
May 29, 2005
June 05, 2005
June 12, 2005
June 19, 2005
July 03, 2005
July 10, 2005
July 17, 2005
July 31, 2005
August 14, 2005
August 28, 2005
September 04, 2005
September 11, 2005
September 18, 2005
November 06, 2005
November 13, 2005
November 27, 2005
December 04, 2005
December 11, 2005
December 25, 2005
January 01, 2006
January 08, 2006
January 22, 2006
March 26, 2006
April 09, 2006
April 16, 2006
April 23, 2006
April 30, 2006
May 07, 2006
May 14, 2006
June 04, 2006
June 25, 2006
September 03, 2006
November 05, 2006
November 12, 2006
November 19, 2006
November 26, 2006
December 24, 2006
January 07, 2007
January 21, 2007
January 28, 2007
February 11, 2007
February 18, 2007
February 25, 2007
September 30, 2007
My Home Page - Updating
The Tibet Fund
Citizens For A Free Tibet
Monadnock Humane Society
The National Primate Research Exhibition Hall (NPRX)
The Primate Freedom Project
Your Click Helps At...
The Animal Rescue Site
I Listen To...
We have a new ISP and my web pages are being moved. My old URLs will not work unless you go here and type them in to get an archived copy. As I upload the pages to the new server, the links in my sidebar will become clickable again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Knit Koigu Kersti Shawl
Gaugeless Toe-Up Socks
Knit Beehive Hat
Knit Fingerless Mitts
Knit PodPocket For iPod Mini
Dyeing Experiments and Instructions - Updating
Textile and Fiberarts Pages - Updating
Beekeeping Pages - Updating
Take The Spindle Quiz!
My Amazon Wish List
My Froogle Wish List
Pet Rats Rule!
To The Ratlist
Image By Ophelia
Send Me E-mail
The Weather In Eau Claire, WI
Give My Dog A Bone
Hosted By Blogger.com
Stats By SiteMeter.com